Hudson Solar

Rating:

Based on 27 Reviews

Pre-Screened Solar Pro

Company Description:

Established in 2003, Hudson Solar is a full-service solar company, specializing in the design, installation and servicing of renewable energy systems.

Hudson Solar is your local expert, dedicated to bringing solar energy to where we all live. We are your neighbors and a part of your community. Our goal is to help better our corner of the world by switching homes and businesses to clean energy. Since 2003, Hudson Solar has served the Capital District and Hudson Valley. With two locations, Albany and Rhinebeck, we are truly your local source for high quality installations. Whether you own a home, farm or business, Hudson Solar has the experience and expertise to the design the perfect, custom solar system to fit your needs.

Hudson Solar has helped over 1,100 happy customers find easy and affordable solar solutions. We work vigorously to help you save money and find energy independence. All Hudson Solar customers are given award-winning service from the moment they contact us. Complete satisfaction and peace of mind are our highest priorities.

Services:

• Poor

• Terrible

Would you recommend?

27 Reviews

Sort by: Date or Ratings (sorted by most recent)

Great experience with Hudson Solar

Great experience with Hudson Solar

Hudson Solar was a pleasure to work with during the entire process of placing a solar panel system on my new

barn. From the design phase, through permitting and installation, the professionals at Hudson Solar were accommodating, courteous, and informative. They finished the project on time, as promised, working through the holiday season to get it done before the year''s end. I have highly recommended Hudson Solar to my friends and neighbors, and look forward to working with them again when I build my new home and install solar panels on it too.

Reviewed: 01/20/2016

Awesome Company

Awesome Company

From the first call to Hudson Solar I was pleased. Every person is incredibly professional, respectful, and

accommodating. Chris, the sales rep. went above and beyond. He was always available to answer questions. I was never left waiting. The process itself was quick and painless. Within one week the solar panels were installed, the project inspected, and we were solar. Even after all money was paid, Chris emailed me with suggestions. In fact, he even came over the house one month after the project was completed to answer questions in person. I love Hudson Solar and highly recommend their product to anyone.

Reviewed: 01/10/2016

custom home solar installation -- a job well done

custom home solar installation -- a job well done

When I started looking around for a solar installer, I wasn''t just looking for someone to put panels on my

roof. Our plan was to have a pavilion specially built for supporting the panels and adding an outdoor picnic area to our home. I contacted several solar installers, but only two companies responded to my request. One of them, Hudson Solar, quickly sent a sales representative to my house, Chris Patak.

Chris understood our special request, and he did the basic calculations for solar panels to be placed 8+ feet high in various places in our backyard. We discussed whether to aim the pavilion so it was parallel with the house (for aesthetic reasons) or to aim it 12 degrees further east, which would be in the direction of solar south (and maximize solar output). Chris also provided the optimal slant for the roof of the pavilion to maximize the solar output.

When I later found a builder, Chris worked with the builder so our pavilion would also be the best possible support for the solar panels. (About this time, the other company that responded to my request finally got back to me, but I was already convinced that working with Hudson Solar was going to be good.) We decided to aim the pavilion directly for solar south. This boosts our solar production, and when all was said and done it looked great and the system has performed flawlessly.

Beyond the special request for helping us design the underlying pavilion, I think our installation was a typical installation, so I won''t go into more detail.

In the scores below I gave scores of 5 in all categories, except for one. Everyone from Hudson Solar was very professional and courteous, except for one technician who showed up late several times. Part of the reason I mention this score of 4 is to emphasize the true 5s for all of the other scores.

Hudson Solar is a very stable solar company with good longevity here in the Hudson Valley. I highly recommend them.

Reviewed: 09/25/2015

Hudson Solar great work

Hudson Solar great work

Our system was installed by Hudson Solar earlier this month. After some detailed investigation, we found

that our site is suitable for solar. Carey, the project manager, was very helpful And professional throughout the process. Josh and and the installation crew put together a neat and workmanlike installation, cleaning up after themselves every day. Like the engraved name tags for inverters and devices. Overall a positive experience. Enjoying seeing the meter go backwards to the utility, and looking forward to more.

Reviewed: 05/18/2015

Go with the best!

Go with the best!

Hudson Solar designed/installed our 6KW, pole-mounted PV System. The firm was great to work with and

delivered as promised.

High recommended.

Reviewed: 05/16/2015

Delivered as Promised

Delivered as Promised

From initial inquiry to completion, everyone at Hudson Solar was responsive and professional. The job was

started and completed within the promised time frame and the staff was neat and courteous. They worked through some very, very cold days.

Reviewed: 04/13/2015

Warwick NY Solar Install

Warwick NY Solar Install

Our interest in solar began with a few of the big leasing companies. We got close to signing up with one of

them after they sent me all the info a woo''d us with no upfront costs. Contracts were drawn up, but there were things that just didn’t sit well with the deal. The fact that I would have to sign a 20 year lease with this company and convince any future buyers of my house to pick up that lease was definitely not attractive. Plus the amount we were to pay them per kw and the amount they were taking in the federal tax credit just didn’t add up when I did the math for what we would be paying to them over 20 years.

A rep from Hudson Solar came to a solar awareness night at our local library. I attended the session and was enlightened about the prospect of owning, rather than leasing. After seeing all the positives that come from owner financing we decided to work with Hudson Solar to install our solar system.

I was put in touch with sales rep, Chris Patak, who was great at explaining our options for financing, system size, support, roi, etc. He setup an engineer to come out who did a thorough site inspection of our house and yard to allow them to draw up plans for the system. Based on that report, Chris showed us a few options for our system, looking to maximize output to cover our yearly electric output. No pressure was applied through any of this process. Once we were satisfied, we signed off on the system and waited for the cold winter to loosen its grip so we could start the installation.

We had an inside team come out and setup the monitoring components of the system, and then another crew came to do the outside work and attic work. Both teams were meticulous in the work they performed. Dan and Tim, the outside techs, were courteous, professional and their work was neat. Most of the install days were cold but they showed up promptly and worked through some bad conditions. I offered them hot drinks many times, but all they really wanted was access to a bathroom.

I could tell that they were taking care to make sure things were done correctly and without haste. They took their time with the mounts on the roof, insuring a waterproof connection to each rafter. The wiring work and rack work were done neatly as well.

On the last day of the job, when the panels were to be installed, I took a look at the panels that were staged in my garage and noticed a 2 inch silver marking on one of the panels. It looked almost like a scratch but I wasn’t quite sure. Dan followed up with the install manager, Wes Naprstek, and he directed them to replace the panel. They had another tech drive a replacement panel down to our house that same day. The distance to our location from the office was over an hour and a half. That was impressive.

Wes came out after the install and inspected the system and gave me and my wife a thorough overview of the system. The next day he returned with the electric inspector who signed off on the system. He turned it on and we were delighted to see the rapid pace that the meter was running backward.

All the players at Hudson Solar were always responsive to my questions throughout the whole process. They made the process smooth and handled all the paperwork for permitting for what was needed for our town.

They went above and beyond just the normal client/customer relationship. An example of this, was when I went to Chris and let him now that I was a volunteer firefighter and was hoping to get a lecture setup for our department on Solar safety for firefighting. Due to the popularity of solar systems in the community (either leased or owned), there are concerns that firefighters need to be aware of if we encounter these systems on a house that we may be responding to in an emergency situation. Without hesitation Chris agreed that it was important topic and worked with another engineer, Gary Bassett, to setup an extremely informative solar awareness talk for one of our drills. There were over 30 firefighters that benefited greatly from the information that he presented that evening.

Overall, Hudson Solar has been a pleasure to work with. No pressure through any of the process and they were there to answer all our questions. Would highly recommend them for a solar install. 5 stars for all phases of the job from design, implementation, financing and customer service.

So far the production looks great, and time will tell just how well the system functions, but so far so good.

Looking forward to sunny days.

Reviewed: 04/07/2015

RJRJR

, NY

Hudson Solar Review

Hudson Solar Review

The work and customer service were exceptional. Before I contracted with Hudson Solar I checked out the

company and references carefully. They exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed: 03/20/2015

Happy customer with new 6.54kw system!

Excellent

Happy customer with new 6.54kw system!

Our experience with Hudson Solar very positive. From our first meeting with our project manager, to the time

our system was turned on after inspection, everyone that we dealt with was very polite, informative and friendly. They designed a system for us to completely offset our electricity bill and so far I couldn''t be happier.

Our roof is very easy to access and has a low pitch so it helped to make for a quick and easy installation. The technicians that worked on our home were extremely professional and very efficient. The work was completed in about 5 days and after an electrical inspection, out system was turned on and we were off to the races.

It''s pretty cool to watch the utility meter run backwards. I also seem to pay more attention to the weather forecasts and I''m always hoping to see a sunny days predicted. Although, even on cloudy days we still produce some power.

Reviewed: 03/17/2015

Solar still going strong!

Excellent

Solar still going strong!

My Solar system was installed by Hudson Solar 9 years ago and it is over-performing from the original

production estimates I was given!

9 years ago they were the only solar company in the area...and they are still here!

Reviewed: 02/25/2015

Lev

You get what you pay for.

Good

You get what you pay for.

This is a high priced company that uses the highest grade components, and highly skilled and courteous

employees. The ROI that they provided takes a lot of assumptions into account, including the increase of the cost of the property, which is irrelevant for those not looking to sell. I have 5600 kW system from them, and it''s covering 100% of my electric usage. The system will break even at 25 year mark, making the whole project a wash financially, but I get a huge smile on my face every time I get my, so it''s worth it to me.

Reviewed: 12/29/2014

Update

Average

Update

I wrote a very negative post re HS on 12/24/13, under Tay, because I felt I was being overcharged for

moving some existing panels. Since then, HS and I compromised on terms and the work has been completed. The workers were very professional, expert and cordial. Although I had strong disagreements with management on terms, my experience with the work crew was very positive.

Reviewed: 05/26/2014

6KW Residential Solar

6KW Residential Solar

I cannot say enough good things about Hudson Solar and have recommended them to friends. Everything went

along smoothly from concept, estimating electric savings and Return on Investment,final design, permits, applications, financing and installation. I rate them FIVE STAR.

Reviewed: 05/14/2014

6 years on solar. System performing better than promised.

Excellent

6 years on solar. System performing better than promised.

April 21st 2008. System turned on -- no problems to report as of writing this. Everyone who we interacted

with at the company were pleasant. Crews did a good job, neat and clean. System has exceeded expectations -- producing about 8% more per year than what I was told it would. I happily recommend them based in my experience for my home.

Reviewed: 04/23/2014

99 percent clear sky in the real Wallkill

99 percent clear sky in the real Wallkill

The price was right and the time was right to move to a solar system. The installation is shielded from the

road by a large barn and looks South over open fields. The engineer who came to check out the site said he had never seen such an open sky. The Town is happy that it is more or less shielded from the road.

The installation was smooth and with very few hickups and Hudson Solar were great. They delivered what the promised at the price quoted and helped make sure we maximized the tax credits and NYSERDA credits. Just need bright sunny days and have it only be cloudy and rain or snow at night!

Reviewed: 02/04/2014

Top Notch Company with Excellent People!

Excellent

Top Notch Company with Excellent People!

Hudson Solar is a top-notch company with superior products and hard working and talented employees. From

discussions with your product manager to deciding how much solar you want and need, to onsite evaluations by engineering to scope out the details of the project, all the way to installation and testing, the experience is AAA+++. We started with an 8kWh system in 2012 that took about 4 weeks and expanded it with a 5kWh system just finished in early 2014. The expansion took only 2 weeks because all of the wiring was already there and the newer system was joined to the old system. In bad weather and good - Hudson Solar is professional, keeps you informed of work being performed, inspections etc. We were so happy to be taking advantage of Federal and NY tax breaks as well as NY rebates. We highly recommend Hudson Solar for small residential installations all the way up to large commercial jobs. They can do it all and they do it well! We love seeing our solar generated and sold back to the grid!

Reviewed: 01/27/2014

Do not use Hudson Solar

Substandard

Do not use Hudson Solar

I am a customer of Hudson Solar. Due to lot line issues, I had to move my panels. HS originally gave me a

bid of $6000 for the job, which was considered unusually high by construction profesionals. When I lost a zoning appeal and had to move the panels, becoming captive customer, HS raised the price to $6,900 saying the original price was a " ball park" figure. In addition, I had also asked for a quote to increase my number of panels. The cost was aproximately $26,500 which after rebates was around$15,500. However,thesalesman said that a new tax rebate was in the works. One month later, the salesman said that the new rebate was enacted. He then submitted a bid for $33,152 which after the new rebate and credits was $15,308. He said that the original panels were no longer available and the new ones were larger (6% to 10%) and, in any case, the final cost to me was about the same as before. It is apparent that HS was adjusting their products and pricing to keep the new tax rebate rather than passing it on to their customers. Finally, HS uses a 35% tax rate to calculate its breakeven. My experience shows that my real breakeven is about 14 years rather than the 7.5 projected by HS. I would not use HS again and strongly suggest comparison shopping before engaging Hudson Solar.

Type: Other

Reviewed: 12/24/2013

Click here for more details

The system has been working as promised and gives us all we need to enjoy our property!

Reviewed: 03/03/2008

Click here for more details

FYI - as stated above, our system was designed and installed to be a stand alone system not connected to

any building, but to stand alone electrical systems and electronics in a remote location where a propane powered gas generator once provided the necessary power. The solar installation was installed and interconnected with the existing generator, but since the solar was installed, the generator has not been needed to provide any of the required power. The solar system designed and installed has been working exactly as it was supposed to.

Type: Commercial Electric

Reviewed: 02/29/2008

Click here for more details

Grid tied power was not available to us without spending $40,000 to bring in power lines. Solar or

r wind were our only choices.

Type: Commercial Electric

Reviewed: 02/26/2008

Reviewed: 02/25/2008

Click here for more details

we love everything about our system and the way the installation went.

Reviewed: 02/25/2008

Click here for more details

Good

Click here for more details

Reviewed: 05/16/2007

Reviewed: 04/17/2007

Click here for more details

we are very happy that we are helping save our resourses even just a little for the future

Reviewed: 04/08/2007

Click here for more details

Hudson Valley Clean Energy personnel conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner.

Reviewed: 04/06/2007

Click here for more details

System is great and they did an awesome job getting it up and done.
More people need to be made aware of

the impacts of traditional electric generation. Utilities should be accountable for what they do to our world.

Reviewed: 08/03/2005

Service Areas:

New York
Albany County
Albany, Albany Brm, Alcove, Altamont, Audit and Control Dept, Beckers Corners, Berne, Bethlehem, Bethlehem Center, Boght Corners, Clarksville, Coeymans, Coeymans Hollow, Coeymans Holw, Cohoes, Colonie, Colonie Center, D O T N Y, Delmar, Dormansville, Dunsbach Ferry, East Berne, Elsmere, Empire State Plaza, Feura Bush, Glenmont, Green Island, Guilderland, Guilderland Center, Guildrlnd Ctr, Knox, Latham, Loudonville, Mannville, Maplewood, McKownville, Medusa, Menands, Mental Hygiene Dept, N Y Agr and Mkts, N Y Assembly, N Y Civil Serv Dept, N Y Conservation Dept, N Y Dept Commerce, N Y Dept of Motor Vehicles, N Y Educ Dept, N Y Empl Retirement, N Y Health Dept, N Y Hghr Educ Serv Corp, N Y Labor Div Empl, N Y Labor Unemp Ins, N Y Lottery, N Y Secretary of State, N Y Soc Serv Dept, N Y State Campus, N Y State Lottery, N Y Tele Co, N Y Wrkmn Comp, Newtonville, Ny Park and Rec Dept, Ny Standards and Purc, Ny State Dept Financial Svc, NYS Dept of Tax & Finance, Nys Tax Processing Ctr, Pine, Preston Hlow, Preston Hollow, Preston Holw, Ravena, Reidsville, Rensselaerville, Rensselaervle, Roessleville, S Bethlehem, S U N Y, S U N Y 99 Wash, Selkirk, Siena, Slingerlands, South Berne, South Bethlehem, State Office Bldg, Stuyvesant Plaza, Stuyvsnt Plz, Thompsons Lake, Troy, Us Postal Service, Verdoy, Voorheesville, Watervliet, West Berne, Westerlo, Westmere
Rensselaer County
Albia, Alps, Averill Park, Berlin, Boyntonville, Brainard, Brookview, Brunswick, Burden Lake, Castleton, Castleton on Hudson, Center Berlin, Center Brunswick, Cherry Plain, Cherryplain, Cropseyville, Defreestville, Dunham Hollow, E Greenbush, Eagle Bridge, Eagle Mills, East Greenbush, East Nassau, East Poestenkill, East Schodack, Easton, Glass Lake, Grafton, Hoag Corners, Hoosick, Hoosick Falls, Hoosick Junction, Johnsonville, Lansingburg, Melrose, Nassau, North Greenbush, North Hoosick, North Petersburg, Petersburg, Petersburgh, Pleasantdale, Poestenkill, Raymertown, Rensselaer, S Schodack, Sand Lake, Schaghticoke, Schodack Landing, Schodack Lndg, Snyders Corners, Snyders Lake, South Schodack, Speigletown, Stephentown, Stephentown Center, Sycaway, Taborton, Taconic Lake, Troy, Valley Falls, W Sand Lake, Walloomsac, West Sand Lake, West Valley Falls, White Creek, Wynantskill
Saratoga County
Bacon Hill, Ballston, Ballston Center, Ballston Lake, Ballston Spa, Barkersville, Bemis Heights, Burnt Hills, Charlton, Clifton Park, Clifton Park Center, Conklingville, Corinth, Day, East Line, Elnora, Factory Village, Fortsville, Galway, Gansevoort, Glens Falls, Grangerville, Greenfield, Greenfield Center, Greenfld Ctr, Gurn Spring, Hadley, Hagedorns Mills, Halfmoon, Harmony Corners, Jonesville, Kings Station, Lake Desolation, Malta, Malta Ridge, Maltaville, Mechanicville, Middle Grove, Milton Center, Mosherville, Palmer, Pioneer, Porter Corners, Porter Cors, Providence, Quaker Springs, Rexford, Riley Cove, Rock City Falls, Rock City Fls, Round Lake, S Glens Falls, Saratoga Spgs, Saratoga Springs, Schuylerville, South Glens Falls, Stillwater, Ushers, Victory Mills, Vischer Ferry, Waterford, West Milton, Wilton

Back to list

Copyright © 2012 - solarreviews.com. All rights reserved.